Friday, November 30, 2012

OK, So I Apparently Suck At Using Twitter...


In an attempt to advertise BAND GEEK, I've set up a nice online author "platform." I have this blog, a Facebook page, a Goodreads page ... and a Twitter account. I feel like I do pretty well with most of these outlets; I frequently update this blog, share posts on FB, have joined several groups and rate books on Goodreads.

But what I'm not so great at using is Twitter.

I seem to lose about as many followers as I gain, and I guess I can't blame them. Honestly, I don't post on Twitter that often, other than to advertise my book or my jewelry sites -- or to share blog posts. It's really because I don't have that much to say.

If I'm going to talk about writing, it's going to be in depth in this blog where I can really express my thoughts -- not in 140 characters. Sometimes I'll bang out a tweet, "Reading such-and-such right now and liking it" or will comment on a TV show, but I just don't have that many quick-bite-type thoughts! Twitter goes by so quickly that I find it impossible to keep up with and reply to everyone; I'd much rather use the time to write.

I'm also really bad at following back people who follow me. It's not because I don't like them; it's because I don't know them. On Facebook, I find that it's a much more personal space. When I'm engaging with friends or followers there, it's a bit slower; I can actually take the time to read posts without the feed unfolding at rapid speed in front of my eyes. Also, on FB you can say a little more. I guess I just like words, being a writer and all.

I think I also like FB's setup better. On FB, you can simply click "like" on a post and let that person know that their post excited or amused you. On Twitter, you can retweet or reply -- but it's not quite the same. It just isn't as easy for me to go through.

I'll continue to use Twitter because I do feel as if it can be a useful advertising tool and a way for authors to get their name out. It HAS helped me sell copies of my book. I guess I just don't get it. I'd love to be able to get to know every person whom I meet online, but I have two jobs and a large network of people whom I regularly see in person. I do need that time for work and family.

I am trying to become a better tweeter and am attempting to add some more insightful posts. But I think it's going to take me a while to become the perfect Twitter user.

Meantime, please read and review my novel REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment