Monday, November 12, 2012

Writing A Novel: On To The Next Project


I took a much-needed break from promoting BAND GEEK today and spent time working on my next novel. So far, I've completed my first chapter and am happy with how it's turning out.

Writing a new story has its good and bad points. On the one hand, my book is a blank slate. I can invent any character I want and make her do anything, without having to worry about continuity. On the other hand... the book is a blank slate, meaning that I still have to actually write the story. And much as I enjoy doing that, it's even more satisfying for me when I can see my words come to life on the page. It's especially frustrating when the story is already complete in my head and I've yet to put in on paper.

It also takes some time for me to get comfortable with new characters. Melinda and Josh have been a part of my life for such a long time, so it feels weird -- and almost like I'm cheating on them in a way -- to be writing about someone else's story. But I'm already falling in love with this new set of characters and plan to give them the same care that I gave the characters in my first book.

The business of writing (emphasis on business) takes a lot of work and patience, as I'm finding out, but ultimately, I'm a WRITER -- and this is what I need to concentrate on. I'm glad to be so fired up about my next project and am eager to see where this story takes me.

Meantime, please read and review REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment