Friday, November 2, 2012

Revenge Of The Nerd, a.k.a. High School High


One of the nicest things that's happened with the release of BAND GEEK is that I've gotten so much support from my former high school classmates. I really wasn't expecting this, but many -- some whom I don't know well -- have purchased the book and have shared my Facebook page with others. Some got it because they wanted to see if they recognized anyone in the characters, but most were just happy to hear about a fellow alum doing well.

This means a lot to me, not just as a writer, but as a person. As I've written earlier, I wasn't popular in high school. I wasn't exactly an outcast and had a group of friends, but I was shy, quiet and often felt invisible. There weren't many photos of me in the yearbook. I didn't win any of the "Most" or "Best" awards that students voted on. I wasn't hated, but many didn't know my name -- or at least I didn't think that they did. Plus, my school Sachem was HUGE. We had 1300 kids just in our class! I knew maybe 200 or so. What's funny is that in real life, I've become the opposite of how I was in high school -- outgoing and opinionated. But I still feel "invisible" when I think back on those days.

In BAND GEEK, my narrator, Melinda, goes from shy, quiet girl to someone who learns to stand up for herself and make herself known to her peers. In a way, this is my story of making myself known to my high school classmates. It only took me 20 years to get there, but my 18-year-old self is very pleased!

Please read and review REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment