Thursday, October 25, 2012

Publishing On Kindle: Technology Is Awesome


I'm not a very technology-oriented person. I never feel a rush to buy the latest gadget and don't own n iPad, iPod or even a working DVR. I've never used Skype. I didn't get a cell phone until 2007 and I haven't felt the need to upgrade. I can't send e-mails or photos from it, but it works just fine if I need to call or text friends.

Still, I can't ignore the fact that I wouldn't have the career that I do if it weren't for technology. All of my ventures from selling my writing to selling my jewelry take place online. I network using social media sites like this blog, Facebook and Twitter. And I'm almost never without my trusty laptop. I use it for everything from watching movies to reading books. It's my lifeline.

My husband and I had a recent discussion about technology and how much basic communication has changed in even the past 10 years. When we were kids (both children of the 70s/80s), our vision of the "future" mainly centered around big changes in transportation. We expected teleportation and flying cars. But it's really entertainment and communication that have been revolutionized -- and our tech just keeps getting better.

I was reminded of this today during a cab ride, of all places. I'm leaving for California for a few days, so I dropped my cat off to stay with our vet. The cab driver who picked me up to take me back home ended up being the nice guy who drove me quite often when I broke my leg a few years ago. He asked what I've been up to and I told him about my book (even though he's way out of my demographic, but hey!). He took out his Kindle Fire and spoke my novel's title into the speaker ... and there it was, ready to be purchased! So cool! It was like something right out of The Jetsons.

I don't know if I'll be buying any gadgets any time soon. I'm happy listening to music on my laptop and don't have a burning desire to get the most high-tech cell phone that's out there. But I am grateful for how good the Internet has been for writers, artists and musicians, and can't wait to see what comes along next.

Please read and review my 5-star novel REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD, now only 99 cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment