Monday, October 15, 2012

Welcome To The Dark Side


On of BAND GEEK's major plot points is how the narrator, Melinda, discovers her dark side as she and Josh scheme together. Having been an English major and a literature nerd, I put a lot of time into incorporating the scenes with symbolism.

That said, many of Mel's encounters with Josh literally take place in a "dark side." They often meet in the shadowy corners of the band locker room. He takes her to a bar at night, where his true colors come alive once the lights are dimmed. He gives her a musical "tour" of the New York City subways. And Mel learns some harsh truths about her partner-in-crime in the basement of a house party.

Showcasing darkness and light is nothing new in literature or TV and film, but I wanted to do this in a way that would work for Mel and Josh. I didn't want to stick symbolism into my book just for the sake of making it look profound. I wanted it to be organic to the story. I think that I accomplished this!

That got me thinking about some of my favorite dark/light scenes. I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and he often used this symbolism on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER. The vampires, of course, can only come out at night (in the dark), but as Spike became a more sympathetic character, he had more daytime scenes. There were even a few instances where he ran out into the sun -- though he was covered up while doing so. Meanwhile, you see a lot of light/dark imagery in Whedon's Internet musical DR. HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG. I especially like how in the song, "In My Eyes," Billy (a.k.a. Dr. Horrible) sings about evil while hiding in the shadows, while Penny is practically glowing as she sings about goodness.

What are some of your favorite dark/light scenes in books, TV or movies?

Please check out and review my book REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment